top of page

Frequently Asked Questions


Question: Who is my Service Coordinator?

Answer: If you are certain that Abilities in Motion is your service provider, you may call 610-376-0010 to find out who your Service Coordinator is. We can also help you get in contact with your Service Coordinator. If AIM is not your provider, please call Maximus at 877-550-4227 for information.

Question: What services does AIM provide?

Answer: Please see our Services tab.


Question: How do I apply to get help at home?

Answer: If you are between the ages of 18-59, you may call Maximus at 1-877-550-4227. If you are age 60 or over, please contact your local Office of Aging.

Question: How long does it take to get Service Coordination services?

Answer: Presuming you are eligible for services, this process may take five to 12 months from the very first phone call to the start of services. All of the paperwork – state and county applications and medical records – MUST be in order for this application process to be considered complete.

Question: What if I have lost my housing arrangement?

Answer: No problem. We can assist with searching for housing.

Question: Can I get help once I am discharged from a nursing home?

Answer: Yes. We can assist with setting up home care services prior to your discharge.

Question: The nursing home says I need 24-hour care, how can I go home if I live alone?

Answer:  We will work with the nursing facility staff as well as home and community-based providers to ensure a safe and supportive care plan can be put together before discharge.

Question: My house/apartment has steps and I am now using a wheelchair.  How can I go back home?

Answer:  We can provide home evaluations with your therapist to determine what type of accessible home modifications may be needed.

Question: Why do I need a Financial Management Service (FMS) Provider?

Answer: Certain tasks related to setting you up as an employer, filing taxes, paying your worker, and obtaining workers' compensation insurance can be daunting to say the least.  It is the role of the FMS Provider to make sure that all that is required of you in carrying out these tasks is done correctly.  The FMS Provider is not the employer of your are.

Question: What is the Consumer-Directed Model?

Answer: The Consumer-Directed Model allows you to be the employer of the workers who provide your service. Your workers work directly for your and not for a homecare agency.  This means you choose your worker, you hire your worker, you may terminate your worker and you schedule your worker for the assitance you need. You are in charge.

Question: How can AIM help with housing?

Answer: We do not find you housing.  However, the CIL Department can provide you with a list of housing options and assist you with filling out paperwork when needed.

Question: Does AIM assist with home modifications?

Answer: In some cases. Please call the CIL Department for more details.

Question: Can AIM help you find a job?

Answer: Our Employment Programs can assist and guide you in the job process. Contact the CIL for more information.

Question: My wheelchair broke. Can AIM help me?

Answer: The CIL Department can possibly refer you to services that can help. We also have some durable medical equipment available through our Loan Exchange Assistance Program (LEAP).

Question: How do I get a parking placard?

Answer: PennDOT has a form that both you and your doctor can fill out. The form can be found by CLICKING HERE.

Question: How do I get a wheelchair? Cane? Walker?

Answer: The CIL Department can refer you to services that can help or can provide available equipment in stock through our Loan Exchange Assistance Program (LEAP).

Question: How do I get transportation?

Answer: The CIL Department can refer you to services that can help.  Information on the public transportation system in Berks County can be found at

bottom of page